Welcome to Scranton - Greg Halpin I won this book from the Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Let me begin by saying, typos bother me. After I noticed several right together, I started highlighting them. There are at least four really obvious ones in less than 30 pages:
p38: "I don't know what the fuck I what I was thinking."
p44: Opening quotation marks are missing before "I don't get the name."
p63: "I made an espresso for him and listened to [him] go on about Tom and Jerry."
p64: "boydriends['] boxers"
There may be more that I skipped over before I started marking them. Having a book self-published is no excuse for poor editing. If anything, you should try harder to make sure it's perfect before sending it to print if you ever want it to be published by a real company. Otherwise, what's the point? Books from major publishing houses occasionally have one typo - any more than that is annoying to the reader and makes everyone involved in the writing/editing/publishing look lazy.

I agree with some of the earlier reviewers that it's hard to tell what the book is about. First person narratives are almost always about the speaker, the "I" telling the story. However, here we get more characterization and information about Ed than anyone else, including the speaker Hank. The novel, or maybe novella is more appropriate, is very short, and I think more could be added to better develop the other characters. Right now, everything that happens seems to involve Ed or be caused by him. He is also the only one who really changes as a person, following his suicide attempt and intervention.

While the story seems mostly to be about Ed and the consequences of his actions, the novel also appeared to me to serve a second purpose. If I could give the book a subtitle, as many novels written in the 1800s had, it would be "The Author Expresses his Worldview." Much of what we do learn about Hank seems to fall into the category of how he sees the world. I'm not sure what the purpose of that is other than maybe Greg Halpin using the novel as a vehicle to get his opinions out into the world. Most recent novels, especially those written by men about twenty-something men don't include opinions on racist and ethnic prejudice and the exploitation of women.

I did enjoy reading the story, but I was left a bit confused, and I think it could be better if it had more meat on its bones.