The Book Meme

Reblogged from silverneurotic:

1:Favorite children's book: When I was younger, anything from the Berenstain Bears series, later the Green Knowe series when I started reading chapter books.

• 2:The last book you've read: Epitaph for a Spy by Eric Ambler
  • 3:Books on your "to read" list:  Officially 828 on my online lists, but more like 3 - 4000, since I quickly discovered that adding every book by every author on my list would be ridiculous, especially because some authors have close to 100 books, and if I add a bunch of books by an author I've never read and end up not liking, I don't want to have to delete them all.
  • 4:Top 5 authors: Agatha Christie, Sue Grafton, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, JK Rowling
  • 5:Favorite genres: Mystery, Classics, Kids'
  • 6:A book that has made you extremely mad: I don't know about mad exactly, but there's one horrifying scene in Blindness by Jose Saramago that I'll never forget and I wish I'd never has to read for school.
  • 7:A book that you've cried over: I cry a lot from books. And movies. In fact, my crying is practically a prerequisite to a book getting four stars or above from me. The last one was A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.
  • 8:A book that made you laugh out loud: True Confections by Katharine Weber
  • 9:Fiction or nonfiction? I read fiction almost exclusively
  • 10:First book you've read by your favorite author: Too hard to say, since my favorites keep changing. The first book I read by my first favorite "adult" author was One, Two, Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie
  • 11:Best book-to-movie adaption: I haven't seen that many, so I'll have to go with any of the Harry Potter series, or The Hunger Games
  • 12:Do you read comics/manga? Newspaper comics occasionally, but never read any manga.
  • 13:Hardcovers or Paperbacks? Paperbacks. They are cheaper, lighter, and more can fit on a shelf.
  • 14:Do you buy books as soon as they come out or wait a while? I always wait. I hardly buy books anyway, and I am the queen of delayed gratification.
  • 15:Do you buy books spontaneously without any prior knowledge of what happens in it? No. Even if it's a book I didn't know about by a favorite author, I'll still at least read the cover blurb.
  • 16:Have you ever bought a book based on the cover alone? No, but I did start the Jane Austen mystery series by Stephanie Barron just because they feature Jane Austen.
  • 17:Where do you usually buy your books? Amazon because I get a gift card every Christmas, used bookstores, library sales.
  • 18:Book that had a strong impact on you: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
  • 19:Historical or science fiction? Historical
  • 20:Dystopian or Utopian? Dystopian, I guess. I can't think of anything utopian I've ever read.
  • 21:Worst book-to-move adaption? Like I said above, I haven't seen that many adaptations, and I don't recall any very bad ones. However, I wasn't crazy about Gone With the Wind. I thought it would have to have been at least 12 hours long to really do the book justice.
  • 22:Book that should have a movie adaption? Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins. I loved the whole series.
  • 23:The first book you've fallen in love with: I probably fell in love just about with every book I received as a kid, but I remember reading Charlotte's Web about 20 times in a row in third grade.
  • 24:Humor or angst? Humor
  • 25:How many books do you own? 211
  • 26:Do you go the library? I go every Monday like clockwork to pick up my requests
  • 27:How many books do you read a year? It's increased a lot in the last few years, but usually at least 100.
  • 28:Favorite "required reading" book? Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
  • 29:Favorite quote? “Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them" - Lemony Snicket
  • 30:A book you absolutely hate: I don't know; I try to only read books I'm sure I'll like.